I’m struck by how absurd morality can be in our country. Abortion is legal up to 24 weeks – bizarrely – and any number of reasons may be given to abort other than gender choice. The Daily Telegraph last week uncovered, through its investigative journalism, abortions taking place purely over the preferred gender of the baby – though they could not give that as a reason because it’s illegal to do so.
Doctors at British clinics have been secretly filmed agreeing to terminate foetuses purely because they are either male or female. Clinicians admitted they were prepared to falsify paperwork to arrange the abortions even though it is illegal to conduct such “sex-selection” procedures.
Andrew Lansley (Secretary of State for Health) was shocked by this revelation.
“I was shocked when I read reports that some abortion clinics may have been behaving in this way. What is selecting by gender for termination of pregnancy is not just morally wrong it’s also illegal,” said Mr Lansley.
It’s OK to abort then, as long as gender is not the reason. Am I missing something here. Does anyone else find this absurd?
I know nothing of Andrew Lansley, he may be a very nice man, but wouldn’t it be great if politicians sought to exhibit some moral backbone and say abortion was wrong, period. But for some inexplicable reason politicians seem duty bound to support the pro death pro-choice ideology. Instead they have to cover it up with smarmy lily livered rhetoric in case they lose a few votes.
- Sex selective abortion is morally wrong, but it is not the norm (newstatesman.com)
- VIDEO: Lansley ‘shocked’ by abortion claims (bbc.co.uk)
- Andrew Lansley: we are talking to police about abortion allegations (telegraph.co.uk)
- Clinics granting sex-selection abortions to be investigated by health officials (guardian.co.uk)
- Abortion investigation: doctor caught falsifying sex selection paperwork (telegraph.co.uk)
- Don’t make termination more difficult than it is | Observer editorial (guardian.co.uk)